Affectionately referred to as “The Haven”, our maternity shelter provides a safe, nurturing and educational home for up to ten young, pregnant mothers and their children.
We provide these vulnerable young families with healthy foods, safe shelter and basic needs including clothing, personal hygiene items and baby supplies. These necessities ensure that our mothers receive adequate nutrition, care and support to recover from their bout with homelessness, meet their children’s growing needs and enjoy a healthy pregnancy.
More than a place, our residents participate in a rigorous goal planning and educational program exposing them to the knowledge and skills they will need to live independently and to provide for their children.
They also work with our Transitional Specialist to develop a Personal Goal Plan that includes short-term and long-term goals in our seven Core Focus Areas: Housing, Health, Independent Living Skills, Parenting, Education, Employment and Spiritual Development.
The Haven of Grace partners with a variety of community organizations and volunteers to offer its educational programming. Learn more about volunteering in the classroom.
Graduates of our Shelter move back into the community or they move to our Quad Transitional Apartments where they continue to work toward independence with the guidance and support of staff nearby.
Our programs focus on seven core impact areas:
- Housing and Basic Needs
- Physical and Emotional Health
- Independent Living Skills
- Household Management
- Personal Finance
- Self-Advocacy and Interpersonal Skills
- Spiritual and Character Development
…so that each young mother we serve will achieve her personal goals and these desired outcomes:
- End Her Housing Crisis or bout with Homelessness by Securing Shelter
- Have Improved Emotional Well-Being and an Increased Sense of Social Support
- Acquire the Confidence, Skills and Basic Supplies Needed to Adequately Care for Her Infant
- Reduce Prenatal Stress and Deliver a Healthy Baby
- Develop and Apply the Life Skills Necessary to Manage a Household of Her Own
- Engage Effectively with Others and Understand the Value of Good Character, Moral Principles and Service to Others
- Increase Her Employability, Job Readiness Knowledge and Skills
- Develop and Utilize Positive Parenting Practices in Raising Her Children
- Earn a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Secure and Maintain Stable Housing for Her Family
- Pursue Higher Education and Earn a Vocational Certificate or College Degree
- Secure and Maintain a Steady Job
- Secure a Residence of Her Own
- Independently Provide for Her Family’s Basic Needs
- GIGGLES (Growing in Grace, Gaining Life Eternally):
Fosters spiritual development and emotional healing
- Meal Planning/Household Management:
Learn to plan nutritious meals and learn household management skills
- Parenting Wisely:
Introduces effective discipline and parenting skills
- REAP (ROW’s Economic Action Program):
Promotes increased economic security through financial education
- Nurses for Newborns:
Weekly one-on-one to provide infant wellness checks and infant care coaching
- Individual Counseling:
one on one sessions to foster emotional healing
- Parents As Teachers:
Improve positive parenting practices
- Within My Reach:
Improve healthy relationship skills