residential program: The Maternity shelter and quad transitional apartments
Affectionately referred to as “The Haven”, our maternity shelter provides a safe, nurturing and educational home for up to ten young, pregnant mothers and their children.
We provide these vulnerable young families with healthy foods, safe shelter and basic needs including clothing, personal hygiene items and baby supplies. These necessities ensure that our mothers receive adequate nutrition, care and support to recover from their bout with homelessness, meet their children’s growing needs and enjoy a healthy pregnancy.
More than a place, our residents participate in a rigorous goal planning and educational program exposing them to the knowledge and skills they will need to live independently and to provide for their children.
They also work with our Housing and Employment Navigator to develop a Personal Goal Plan that includes short-term and long-term goals in our seven Core Focus Areas: Housing, Health, Independent Living Skills, Parenting, Education, Employment and Spiritual Development.
The Haven of Grace partners with a variety of community organizations and volunteers to offer its educational programming. Click here to learn more about volunteering in the classroom.
A sample of our weekly class schedule is noted below:
- GIGGLES (Growing in Grace, Gaining Life Eternally): to foster spiritual development and emotional healing
- Meal Planning/Household Management: to plan nutritious meals and learn household management skills
- Parenting Wisely: to introduce effective discipline and parenting skills
- REAP (ROW’s Economic Action Program): to promote increased economic security through financial education
- Nurses for Newborns: weekly one on one appointment to provide infant wellness checks and infant care coaching
- Individual Counseling: one on one sessions to foster emotional healing
- Parents As Teachers: class to improve positive parenting practices
- Within My Reach: class designed to improve healthy relationship skills
Graduates of our Shelter move back into the community or they move to our Quad Transitional Apartments where they continue to work toward independence with the guidance and support of staff nearby.
Successful completion of The Haven’s Residential Program is the entry point to the Quad Apartments and also our unique Ten Year Aftercare Program.